Tuesday, March 22, 2016

"My Faith in Humanity is Restored"

There is a popular phrase that I hear whenever something happens - whether good or bad. It's funny how the English language can do things like that.

This morning I went on Twitter, and found out about the horrific terrorist attacks in Brussels, Belgium. After I posted my #PrayersforBelgium tweet (as one does now during every monthly disaster), I reflected on how hashtags like this have become the norm, as if we have been desensitized to tragedy. Another shooting? That's sad, but okay. Another bombing? Seen it before. And then after that reflection, I thought to myself, "My faith in humanity is lost."

Earlier this afternoon, I went on Facebook and clicked on an article that mentioned how a family that was about to welcome a baby texted the wrong number. The owner of the wrong number showed up to the birth anyway, with presents. This stranger could have easily been a terrorist or a murderer, but things turned out for the best. I was so touched by the story that I shared it, writing the caption "My faith in humanity is restored."

I saw the pattern. My faith in humanity is in constant flux because I agree with the actions of some and disagree with the actions of others. My faith in humanity changes based on the action I am witnessing and its following perception. There is both good and bad in the world - meaning, my faith in humanity is being both restored and lost.

And that's when I realized that faith in humanity is a losing battle, because humans, more often than not, will let you down. But faith in God is as constant as your own faith. God will always have faith in me, and I wonder how many times I have let Him down? But if I have faith in God, then He will never let me down.

Over my spiritual journey of the past few months, my faith in God has been restored - and as I reflect on this, I know that God's faith in me never wavered. No matter what, His faith is in me, and it is up to me to make sure that I don't let Him down.

So I will take the good with the bad, as far as humanity is considered. We are a multi-faceted creature, and God knows that. He knew that when He created us. It's time I place my foreverfaith in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment