Monday, May 2, 2016

Officially a Christian Writer

And that is definitely not a label I thought I would ever have.

Christian writer. Christian poet.

Just a year ago, I would have wrinkled my nose at those titles. But here I am.

As of last month, some of my poems have been published with the Christian e-magazine ALTARWORK. The man behind the e-magazine contacted me through Twitter, and I was initially skeptical. Was there any chance that I would be accepted in this online Christian community that accepted me for all that I am - political views and all? I decided to ask this before thinking about submitting.

Turns out, that answer is in the affirmative.

That was all I needed to know, so I submitted. And I got accepted. Two of my poems are currently online - "Filial Prodigal" and "Water Shimmers" - and there will be more to come.

I never thought I would be a Christian poet, as a published label. I am a sinner, and yet I was accepted to share my creative work that expresses my love for God. I prayed for acceptance and God answered.

I feel different under this label - like I'm held to the expectations of what makes not only a Christian, but a Christian writer. I am a Christian poet, so now I am inspired to live life as a Christian poet would - full of creativity, gentleness, and forgiveness.

I'm looking forward to future publications with ALTARWORK, and where my writing and faith journey is going to take me, especially now that the two have intersected.

No comments:

Post a Comment