Wednesday, February 10, 2016

I got my driver's license renewed on Ash Wednesday last year - and this is what happened!

*BRB - taking a moment to appreciate the Buzzfeed-esque title.*

Today is Ash Wednesday. Last year, Ash Wednesday fell on February 18th - and that was the day I renewed my driver's license to update my address. Since they took a new picture that day, my ashes were visible on my forehead for anyone who held my ID to see.

I did this as a test for myself.

First, I was embarrassed about it at the time. Even certain people in my life asked "Are you sure you want to get your driver's license renewed today?" with a look to the ashes on my forehead. And I almost didn't do it. But that's when I took it as a challenge - was I brave enough to stand behind my Christian identity?

Second, I wanted to exercise my rights. Regarding a driver's license, it is my right as a religious American to include a religious item in my ID picture. Honestly, I just wanted to see if I could do it. No one said a word, and it made me feel very American to exercise that right.

Almost a whole year later (on the same Christian day of observance), and I still have the ID today. I will continue to have this ID until it is time for me to renew it next year, when I change to my future married name. At first, I sheepishly handed over my ID whenever I was asked to see it - usually when I was buying alcohol - but as time progressed, I wasn't ashamed about my decision. I was/am a Catholic-Christian, and I had/have the right to portray it on my ID.

I did not do it to boast about my beliefs, nor did I do it for attention. I did it to prove to myself that I could re-commit to the religion I was just beginning to reconnect with. And everyone who has needed to see my ID to confirm my age thus far has been very polite about the Christian addition to the picture.

This time last year, I had just started putting my toes in the water where religion was concerned. I started speaking with a priest again, and I started to rethink my views on religion. Even though it wouldn't be until August when I started going to church regularly again, the seed had been planted. And I needed to do something to show that the seed would not be planted in vain.

Now, I'm happy I did it. I've learned that I am confident in my Catholic-Christian background, and indeed brave enough to wear ashes all year round (through a picture) and not just on Lent.

No comments:

Post a Comment