Friday, February 12, 2016

My Lenten Promises

I gave up fast food for Lent - as in, I gave up restaurants with drive-thrus. McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, Arby's, Sonic, Popeye's - I could go on. And I have given them all up. I gave up fast food as a motion to withdraw from gluttony and sloth, to aid in my fasting, and plant a seed to live a healthier lifestyle. Lately, I have found that I've been spending a lot of money and mealtime on fast food because it is convenient. This is a challenge for me, as I love fast food. But I guess that's what Lent is all about.

And on the first night of Lent, I dreamed I was looking at a greasy cheeseburger.

I have also promised to do something for Lent - I'm a big believer in doing something for Lent either as well as or instead of giving something up. My Catholic high school was a big advocate for this, and the thought process stuck. In fall last year, I found the little gem "Lenten Meditations: Growing in Friendship with God" by William A. Barry, S.J. Each page is a little blurb about a friendship with God, to be read on the corresponding days of Lent. At the end of Lent, I will post a review of it with my favorite quotes.

And of course, no meat on Fridays or the holy days are a must.

Even back when I wasn't practicing the faith, I still held Lent in high regard. I've always loved this somber time of year - a time for reflection and awareness and mindfulness and sacrifice.

I write this blog post not to boast of what I'm doing for Lent, but to put my promises in writing. I have already made it a private commitment - but there's something about a public promise and keeping things in writing that I, as a writer, love.

No comments:

Post a Comment